Friday, May 20, 2011

Actions speak louder than words

I had a friend on Facebook, we will call her Joan. Maria posts lots of Bible verses and Christian songs as her status. Joan tells everyone she is a Christian and loves "Daddy" her name for God while she visits her few friends and publicly posts on their walls what they should and should not be doing as Christians. Joan brags to anyone who will listen how many friends she loses because of her "Jesus talk".

After months of deleting ribald jokes, curse words and dirty jokes and telling Joan I didn't talk that way, I finally asked her privately via inbox  to please not post such things on my wall. After saying she understood and was just being "onery"  then Joan promptly deleted me from her friends list.I was surprised to say the least. My good Christian friend got upset with me because i didn't want to hear her cursing and dirty jokes?

I can't judge whether Joan is a Christian or how close she is to God, that isn't my place. I tell this true story to demonstrate what Jesus meant when he said " by their fruits you shall know them" Matthew 7:16. If you have to keep telling people you are a Christian so they know you are one instead of showing people you are one by the way you act, you are in direct opposition of what Jesus said.

Put another way James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. If we are doers of the word, we are doing more than merely hearing the word or saying we hear the word.. wouldn't you say? 

I will be praying for Joan, I don't have to have her on my Facebook friends list in order to do that, but I will also be praying that my speech and actions reflect Jesus in everything. 

1 John 3:18
Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

go forth into the world and show by your actions you follow Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment