Saturday, March 17, 2012

Just who do you think you are?

I recently read a novel called "Love Amid The Ashes" by Mesu Andrews. the book is a work of fiction  about Job and his trials. It got me to pondering Job. 


After Jobs friends accuse him of being disciplined for unrepentant sin, Job asks God Why? Why me Lord. What have I done to deserve this ill treatment?" and demands God answer to him. 


God replies: Job 38: 2 " Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?"


God does not answer Job with a discourse on Jobs innocence or guilt. God doesn't address Job's suffering or Jobs problem with divine justice. God asks Job a series of questions designed to show Job just how awesome God is, our Creator of the world and how in comparison.. there is no comparison. God asks Job chapter 40:1 " Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? Let him who accuses God answer him" 
vs 8 God asks " Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself? 


I hear God asking.. Just who do you think you are to question my motives? 


I think we all have asked God why we suffer. Why He doesn't answer our prayers the way we think He should. But who do we think we are to question God? How do we as sinful humans, question our perfect Creator?  


Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” 


I think Job had the right of it when he told God Job 42:1-2 I know that you can do all things, no plan of yours can be thwarted. 3b Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.


Stop questioning and whining and start trusting in our Sovereign Lord that He has a plan for us. 


Dear Lord. I know you have a plan for my life. I also understand that I don't have to know why things are not always easy for me. Dear God, help me to learn to trust and rely on you in times of trouble instead of railing and whining.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment