Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Who's approval are you trying to win?



Last week a friend invited me to go to the movies with her. She picked the movie and I failed to check the rating or read viewer reviews.

 It turned out to be rough, violent and filled with nudity and sexual content. I was embarrassed to be there, so I sat through it covering my eyes through much of it while feeling guilty for being there.


We have to be careful that we don't live one way at church or in front of other Christians, and another way when we are around those who do not live a Christian life. 

Matthew 5:16 instructs us to "In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."
We are to be a beacon in the darkness, pointing the way to our Heavenly Father. We can't do that if we are living in the darkness with the ones to whom we are supposed to be showing the Way.

Acts 5:29b "We ought to obey God rather than men". this is as true today as it was for Peter and the apostles 

I was in a place where I didn't belong because I wanted to please my friend and not look foolish in her eyes. It is better to please God than to please people and I should have remembered and acted on that. 

Galatians 1:10 "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."

I have confessed to God and I have peace because I know He forgives me. I now will be much more careful about where I go and what I watch and the example I am setting forth for other people.

Take a stand for what pleases God in your daily life. Remember, where ever you go, you are taking Jesus with you. He sees what you see and hears what you hear. 
Don't let the fear of rejection or of being mocked make you afraid to do what is right before God. 






No comments:

Post a Comment