Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Offer of a Lifetime


Have you seen the TV series "Royal Pains" on the USA Network? 

The premise of the show is a successful doctor is wrongfully accused of allowing a wealthy patient to die while saving the life of another patient. The Doctor ends up in the Hamptons where he is rescued by an eccentric wealthy nobleman who offers him a job, a rent free palatial guest house on his estate and even gives him a gold bar. Hank, the Doctor ends up with a much better life than he had before. 

Now imagine something similar happening to you. You strike up a conversation in a coffee shop with the nice man sitting next to you.  The man is wealthy nobleman who is in search of employees. He likes you and makes you the offer of a lifetime. A job that is yours for life, with a yearly salary of $10,000,000 + bonuses and a beautiful, exquisitely furnished,  rent free mansion for you and your family to live in and because he wants your reputation to be good as you represent him and he wants you to put your focus on doing the job he has for you, he will pay off all your debt. No more financial worries. 
The man tells you he will provide you with all the tools you will need and will train you to perform the job to his satisfaction.  

Now imagine you refuse to accept the job and tell the wealthy nobleman " Oh no!  I love my house and my furnishings. I don't want to leave my stuff behind!  My life is perfect just like it is. 

Sounds kind of silly to even think of turning that kind of offer down doesn't it?  Yet I know many people who have and I bet so do you. 

I bet you are also thinking " How silly! No one would offer to rescue me"!
But someone did. Jesus died so he could rescue you. He paid your debt and all you have to do is accept his offer. 

Matthew 16:24,25 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it

Jesus want us to give up our old self and follow Him. He wants us to trust that His plan is a better one. He offers us life everlasting and even a home with Him. 

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.


John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


Jesus says we are to give the old life of living for ourselves and live for Him.  Yet so many people refuse and hang on to the life they have.

Are you one of those people? Have you hung on to this life of sin because you can't bear to give up things you know aren't pleasing to God? 
Is your life really so wonderful you can't possibly improve it? Are you so happy and fulfilled you can't fathom making any changes to your life? I bet the honest answer would be no, it isn't that wonderful. 

Jesus promises us that when we lose the old self and follow Him, we get a new life. And I can testify it is a better life and a better future, a life filled with hope. 

John 10:10b I have come that they may have life, and have it more abundantly.

Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord,and he will give you the desires of your heart.


So really, what are you hanging on to? Is what you have really worth it? 






No comments:

Post a Comment