Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Keep your eyes on Jesus

I am a certified diver and enjoy diving but I am also a lousy sailor. I remember attempting a dive many years ago in the Gulf of Mexico off Ft. Meyers. The ocean was choppy that day and I promptly got sea sick. 
When the rest of the group dove, I opted to stay on the boat and fight that queazy feeling.


The captain of the boat took pity on me and advised me to keep my eyes on the mountains in the distance. When I looked at that choppy sea in front of me, I was so sick all I wanted to do was get off the boat. But when I kept my eyes on that distant mountain on the horizon i felt better and more able to cope until the others returned from their dive and i could get on dry stable land.


Remember when Peter walked on the water to Christ? He did just fine as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus, but as soon as he started paying attention to the boisterous wind, Peter became afraid and started to sink. 


Philippians 3:13-16 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


I think Paul had it right, he forgot what was behind him and strained towards what was ahead of him.
Pauls message is to keep your eyes on Jesus and not what is around us, or what happened in the past. 


Don't focus on your past.. it is just that, the past. Don't focus on the drama going on around you, in the scheme of things, it doesn't matter and too will soon be past. .. keep your eyes on the Jesus and press on 

No comments:

Post a Comment