Friday, June 17, 2011

The Potter and the Clay

Isaiah64:8 - Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.

Isaiah 29:16 - You turn things upside down, as if the potter were thought to be like the clay! Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, "He did not make me"? Can the pot say of the potter, "He knows nothing"?

God likens us many times in scripture to clay and talks about how He is molding us. 

As Christians, God wants us to live a life that glorifies Him. God has a job for us to do while we are here on this earth. God is the master of our lives and He has a plan for us. God will constantly mold us and change us so that we can be better used in His service. 

This "vessel making" can be painful sometimes. We don't always understand what God is doing, but we do know why..  He is forming us into the stronger vessel we need to be for Him 

THE CLAY AND THE POTTER
Yes, I wasn’t like this
Then, I was just a cold
Hard lump of clay
But one day a change i tasted

Then, I was just a cold
Hard lump of clay
But one day a change I tasted

Then, I was far noticed
By men of great expenditure
But he picked me up and he said
“I could do something with this”
In me was pressure prevailing
To change my rag of shape
It was too much to bear
I said, “It hurts, stop!!”

Furious I was when he said,
“Not yet”
I was laid to rest for several hours
Thinking it is over
But he said,
On a wheel I was kept
Around and around and around
He spanned me and I said
“Let me off”
Very stubborn he really was
And he replied,
“Not yet”
Suddenly, I noticed
I was a cup
And kept in a hot oven
Too painful, it really was
I shouted,
“Let me be”
As stubborn as a goat
He said,
“Not yet”


I couldn’t bear it any longer
I screamed
“I’m suffocating, I’m in hell”
But at me he stirred and said,
“Not yet”
I felt a sparkle of joy
When he loose on me
It is finished, I thought
But I was bathed with rainbow

Too often to weep again
I’m back to the hell”
And I said,
“I can’t stand it any longer’
As before as he always being
He said,
“Not yet”

At last,
I was placed on the shelf
Held up before the mirror
Waooh!
I’m now a beautiful tea cup
That everyone wants for treasure.

Author:
Prince Adeyemi Johnson, Nigeria

I came across this poem by Prince Adeyemi Johnson and had to chuckle. Isn't that just like us? We would rather be a lump of mud on the ground than to go through the shaping, the pulling and twisting God puts us through while He is forming us into a useful vessel for His service. And just when we think we are through the worst.. it is time for the kiln. We cry and rail and beg to be an old lump of clay again.  
I don't know about you, as much as I cry and beg. I think i will hold out and go through the twisting and pulling shaping and molding and the fire.. so I can be a beautiful " teacup" for our Lords use. 


Have Thine Own Way, Lord
(Adelaide Pollard & George Stebbins)

Have Thine own way, Lord , have Thine own way
Thou are the potter, I am the clay
Mold me & make me after Thy will
While I am waiting, yielded & still

Have Thine own way, Lord, have Thine own way
Search me & try me , Savior today
Whiter than snow Lord, wash me just now
As in Thy presence humbly I bow

Have Thine own way, Lord, Have Thine own way
Wounded & weary , help me I pray
Power , all power, surely is Thine
Touch me & heal me , Savior divine

Have Thine own way, Lord, have Thine own way
Hold o’er my being absolute sway
Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me








Dear Lord, Please help me to remember during the tough times to keep my eyes on you. I am merely the clay but You are the Divine Potter and while being molded into a vessel for your service can be difficult at times, I do want to be who and what You want me to be.   I am sorry for the whining about the twisting and pulling my life seems to be lately and I thank you for the care you show me in molding me. Please give me strength to come out the other side of the kiln a vessel useful for your service. 
In Jesus name I pray..amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment