Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Patience is necessary to Christians

In this world of hurry, we have forgotten patience. In fact, we are proud of not having any. I know when asked in job interviews what my weakness is, i allow that lacking patience is my weakness and spin it into a strength.


But in this day of impatient commitment phobes,  I am telling you that patience as a Christian is necessary.

James 1:4  Let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Can you truly study Gods Word if you are in a hurry? How many mornings do you grab a devotional book, or read a blog such as this and say a quick prayer for a friend and having spent maybe 10 minutes with our Lord, run out of the house patting yourself on the back for having done your daily duty to God?

I know in this day of I want it now, we are more rushed than ever before. We think a 2 year commitment to our smart phone plan is a life sentence for goodness sake! But God wants our attention. He wants us to Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;  Psalm 37:7a

When is the last time you spent some quality time with your Lord and Savior?  When was the last time you had a long conversation with Him, and thanked Him for all the blessings in your life?
Romans 12:12 tells us we are to Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

And once we learn that patience,  Isaiah 40:31
But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

I think as a culture we have forgotten patience,  and as a result we have lost something important in our lives and in our fellowship with Christ.
Lets all work on slowing down and being still every day so we can hear the Holy Spirit teaching us, so we can commune with our Savior. What do you say?

Dear Lord, please help me to learn to wait on you. Please teach me patience, in times of trouble and times of happiness. Please help me to remember that You are always with me and  if I am patient you will hear my cry and will renew my strength. I do want to be still and hear you. Thank you Holy Spirit for teaching me this lesson today. In Jesus name I pray, Amen

Psalm 40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry

No comments:

Post a Comment