Thursday, April 28, 2011

When Bad things Happen to God's Children

I was laid off from my job a few months ago, because the company I worked for, felt they couldn't afford to continue to pay me. When it came time to pay my bills out of that final paycheck I prayed a quick prayer " Dear Lord, I am afraid, but I am going to continue paying my tithe to you. I am going to trust you to take care of my finances. Thank you Amen.

Two months later, when paying bills out of un-employement income, I noticed I still had the same amount in my checking account that I had on the day I deposited my final paycheck. I frantically went back over my checkbook and bank account and could find no errors. Frustrated I took a break and went to my Bible and to pray. My devotions that day was 1 Kings 17:10-16. Do you remember the story of the widow who gave her last bit of oil and flour to feed Gods servant Elijah? The widow was in obedience to God and God fed her and her son and Elijah and God provided enough oil and flour until the famine was over.

I have to tell you, rarely do I hear God speak to me so directly, but with tears running down my face I praised and thanked God for his mercy and for keeping my flour and oil full until my personal famine is over. I have now been unemployed for  seven months, but my God is still keeping my flour and oil from running out. I have not paid one bill late and I promise, that little unemployment payment, while welcome, does not cover my bills, groceries, gas, etc!. Isn't God Great!?

I don't know what God has in his plan for me, but He is taking care of me until He places me where he wants me to be, all I have to do is trust and obey
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Dear Lord, please help us to remember that you have a plan for us, and that you promise that all things work for our good if we only love you. Please help us to place our trust in you in times of hardship.  In Jesus name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment